Saturday, May 8, 2010

Keep Doing Something

Red Sea Rule # 6: When unsure, just take the next logical step by faith.
(The Lord said to Moses, ‘Why do you cry to Me? Tell the children of Israel to go forward” (Exodus 14:15).
Popular 12 step slogan: Do the next right thing.

I love these! I tend to get overwhelmed. With my house, with my kids, with my life. I used to try to escape these problems by just not thinking about them. Ignoring them. Numbing my brain to not have to deal with big or little things in my life. Guess what? The problems were always still there and getting worse. The more overwhelmed, the more I numbed.

Today I still get overwhelmed. Life is still challenging in big ways and little ways. But today I know that I have the Lord's strength and not mine to deal with whatever comes my way. So how does that look practically? When I want to lie down on my bed and hide (totally different than lying down to rest), I try to think of the next right thing, or the next logical step, pray, and then do it. This can mean put a load of clothes in the washing machine, unload the dishwasher, call someone I need to call, journal about a decision I am trying to make, cook dinner, or just play with the kids. Sometimes I can get through the day by doing the next right thing over and over. I don't live frozen by my responsiblities. I thank God for all that he has blessed me with and I do something.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

http://flourishingmother.blogspot.com/2007/09/do-next-thing.html

HJW said...

Beautifully written! You know I can use this :)