Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

(This was my Mom's Christmas card in case you weren't on her list.  I am longing for summer and sick of rain so I decided to dig from the summer for pictures.)
1.  Sorry about last week.  I was knee deep in some throw up.  Not mine.  My two youngest were hit with the bug and it was awful.  It's been a long time since I was up all night rubbing backs in the bathroom.  And washing sheets until there are no more and people have to sleep in sleeping bags.  Jason and I make an excellent HAZMAT team.  I take the kid and clean them and he takes everything they left behind. I am physically unable to do that job.  This was a deal we made when we got married.  I don't do throw up or roaches. (I later added rats to that list but thankfully that is in the past.  We moved remember?)  (I really don't understand why the stomach bug takes effect at night?  Why not during the day?)
2.  I will have to say that Packy is the cutest puker.  He sat on his little stool in front of the potty and could not have been any sweeter.  I really wanted to take a picture but I didn't want to leave him.  While I was rubbing his back he said, "Mama, could you just lightly scratch my back instead or rubbing?"  I did.  And then I told him his wife was going to hate me one day.  Totally rotten.
3. Last Saturday afternoon I was looking at my garage that is filled with stuff from the storage unit my parents unloaded.  I was really sick of looking at it.  I came inside and put a notice on Craigslist.  AFTERNOON YARD SALE NOW (2pm)-DARK.  I didn't price anything.  I didn't even wait in the garage.  People came within 30 minutes of posting it. I made $150 and now have less junk in my garage.  Yard sale people can not
turn down a sale.  They have to come and they always find something.
4.  Have you heard about PostalPix?  It's a free app that prints the pictures from your iPhone. All those little pictures trapped.  I haven't used it yet but it looks really cool.  I actually have not printed pictures in way too long.  Like maybe a couple of years.
5.  I have read 3 books this January. (Why do I forget how much I enjoy reading?)  I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and then I went to see the movie on Sunday (by myself on a dreary day).  Yes, I am one of those people who will say the book is better.  The book is almost always better.  The movie can be as good, but never better.  That said, I can enjoy the movie and appreciate the things that they changed (and maybe feel a little superior because I know the characters in a deeper way). 
6.  Everyone has a story inside them.  I think that's why we enjoy reading and watching movies.  We get to see other people's stories.  Speaker meetings at AA are some of my favorite meetings because I get to hear someone else's story.  God writes our story and I think he puts something inside us that make us want to share it.  Sometimes I feel like I am bursting with story. 
7.  I have heard from so many people that are enjoying the Run to Him study.  It's so good to do a Bible study that involves just the Bible and you studying it, right?  So last week we studied Psalm 1.  One verse really impacted me. 
Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
Psalm 1:1
Walk, stand, sit.  The progression of sin.  You don't just wake up one day in full on rebellion to God.  You ease in to it.  First you walk around it, then you linger around a little longer, and then you decide to sit down and make it home.  This really made me think about the "little" sins that I might not think are a big deal.  The "pet" sins, to quote my Bible study teacher of many years, Mrs. Cindy.  
Compromise slowly progresses to full on rebellion.
Katie Orr from Do Not Depart blog
8.  Our Sunday School started reading the Tim Chester book, You Can Change.  I like this book because it is set up to be interactive.  You are supposed to pick something specific in your life that you would like to change and work through it as you read.  I am not going to tell you what I picked, at least not today, but this line from the book really stuck out to me.
God can't love you more than he does now, no matter how much you change your life. 
And God won't love you less than he does now, no matter what a mess you make of your life.
'God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).
9.  Sooner or later, anything you run from will have to be dealt with.  Joyce Meyer
As a former runner of anything hard or uncomfortable, I know this is so true.  You can stuff and stuff and stuff and then one day you will explode.  Bury it as far as you want, I promise it will come up.  I don't like uncomfortable.  I like comfortable.  But I have learned that walking through the uncomfortable is much easier than trying to push it aside.  It might suck while you are in it, but then it's over.  Stuff it and it's still there. 
10.  Back to the throw up.  While I was lightly scratching Packy's back at 1:30am, I thought, "I should go get my book and read.  Or I should get my phone and check whatever it is I check".  Then I thought I would be present in the moment.  I took a class for 3 weeks on mindfulness as part of my treatment at Talbott.  I thought it was stupid at the time.  Now I practice it as often as I remember to.  So I didn't leave Packy and I was just present.  I wasn't electronically distracted.  I wasn't trying to read someone else's story.  I was just a part of a story.  The Packy and his puke story.  And it was special.  And I am not kidding.  (In case you were wondering, I did help Emory too.  On her night, I rubbed her back but she was more of the puke and go back to sleep kind of girl.) 
11.  I am such a summer girl. 

No comments: