Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

1.  I loved last week because of the New Year.  Reflect, review, revive.  But this is the week I really love.  This is the week when everything starts back.  Sunday School, Wednesday night church, small group, my online Bible study.  I love the beginning of a new semester (although not in school, I am still on the semester system of life). New books, notebooks, maybe some new pens.  Starting a new book for Sunday School called You Can Change.  (I love to touch a new book.  This is why I am still Kindle free.)  I am also doing a new Bible study with the Do Not Depart girls called Run to Him.  It is a study of Psalms and fits perfectly with my resolution of chasing after God.  (If you aren't currently in a Bible Study this one is great.  They give you a study guide and each Friday they post a "lesson".  You can do it anytime, anywhere. It starts this Friday. I have already laminated my pocket study guide, in case you were wondering.) 
2.  Last Friday I came really close to one of my biggest dreams.  I went to a birthday party/dance for a 13 year old.  It was everything I could want: a DJ who played fun music, a disco ball, and no alcohol.  The only problem was I couldn't dance.  I was there to take pictures and didn't think the birthday girl would appreciate a late 30's mom really throwing down on the dance floor. Jason even warned me before I left to keep it under control.  So, I tiny danced on the sidelines as I took pictures.  It was such a great people watching opportunity.  12 and 13 year olds come in so many different shapes and sizes.  Most of them were taller than me.  The ones that weren't were mostly boys who were still waiting on that growth spurt to kick in.  Sometimes a camera is a great excuse to stare watch people.
3.  The birthday girl was my very first baby obsession.  My first friend to have a baby who was so stinkin' cute that I could not get enough.  They brought her everywhere (remember when you had one and you actually still went places?) and all I wanted to do was hold her.  Now, she is 13.  And gorgeous.  And very kind to my 8 year old, who thinks she hung the moon. Happy Birthday Ellie!  (That is pure joy on Emory's face.)
4.  I needed some new tires on my wonky van so Jason made a call and sent me to the tire store.  The guy asked me how many I needed and I said 4?  That is four with a question mark.  So I got my tires and came home.  Jason asked me how much it was and I told him. The next question was, how many tires did you get? Four?  Yea.  I was supposed to get two.  My back tires were fine. Two years old but, according to Jason, tires last longer that two years. I am an idiot. 
Jason said that I knew I was only supposed to get the front tires.  He said we talked about it a couple of times. I forgot.
5.  Jay is having trouble sleeping.  It's gotten to the point that now he has anxiety about going to sleep, which makes it impossible to go to sleep.  I have talked to him about all the ways I know to relax in order to sleep. Reading, breathing, praying, singing. (I struggled with sleeping as a child too.)  (My main point being that if you get up 7 times and come into my room to tell me that you can't sleep, you will never sleep.  And neither will I.) I was having my quiet time the other morning and I was following the suggestion of my pastor to read a Psalm each day and meditate on it. So guess what Psalm 4:8 says?
 In peace I will lie down and sleep,

                                                                 for you alone, LORD
                                                                make me dwell in safety.
I read this verse to Jay when he woke up and he got a big smile on his sleepy face.  I told him to copy it onto an index card and it sits, propped up where he can read it, on his bedside table.  Now, he is still having trouble sleeping, but he knows that God cares about his sleep. (His word is living and active. Hebrews 4:12)
6.  Packy was mad one day when I picked him up from school last week.  I asked him what was wrong and he said, in a very serious, stern voice, "Wilson is winning me to grow up.  He is 5 and I am still just 4."  Winning me.  I love that baby and I do not want him to win the growing up race.
7.  This is Pac telling me he is keeping his eye on me.
8.  Have you seen the blog, Marc and Angel Hack Life, Practical Tips for Productive Living?  It's so good.  Simple and in a list form, which you know I love.  My two favorite posts so far are 30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself and 28 Ways to Stop Complicating Your Life.  So many times we I make life too hard. 
9.  I have been reading more and watching TV less since the start of the year.  I have a list of books I want to read and the library is so nice to give them to me.  The library is so easy.  I went to Barnes and Noble and found all the books I wanted to read and took a picture of them with my phone.  Then I came home and reserved them at the library.  They call me when it comes in and I go to the desk and pick it up.  For free!  This part is important, especially since I bought new tires that I didn't need. Ugh.
10.  As I reflected on 2011 it really made me smile.  It was a growing year, but in a good way.  I am at peace with most aspects of my life.  Sobriety feels normal. I made amends where I needed to make amends.  I walked through some uncomfortable situations and survived. I don't feel that I am trying to measure up to anyone else's expectations for me.  I am strengthening friendships.  Growing in my faith.  Take responsibility for my own actions.  As I looked back, I noticed that the times that I was most unhappy were the times that I was the most self- focused.  Back in the "it's all about me" thinking.  So as I continue to grow, I pray that I become more and more selfless.  When my eyes are focused on Him and helping others, my life is so much fuller. 

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Jay sounds so much like one of mine sometimes. We have had good success with GABA. It's a natural supplement. I have other friends who swear by melatonin. Of course you'll want to do your own research but in our experience it is very gentle and effective. It is so hard when they can't sleep, for them and us! :)

Katie Powers said...

Payton - I am going through your #5 with my oldest, McKay. I am definitely at the point of losing my patience with her constant back-and-forth to our room to let me know she can't sleep and keeping me up too in the process. Jeff manages to sleep through all of this, of course. I will copy down the Psalms passage. I think it will be very comforting to her. It's anxiety breeding on itself. There is definitely a lot of truth to the whole birth-order thing. What can I say? She is the first born belonging to two first-born parents! Is Jason the oldest? If not, maybe Jay has a chance! Love, love, love your blog - keep it coming! Katie

payton said...

Thanks for the suggestion Stephanie. I'll look into it. Katie, Jay is the oldest. I am also the oldest. It is definitely anxiety breeding on itself. Thanks for the encouragement!

Dana said...

Could frame paca "eyes on me!" with that serious face!