Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

1.  Guess who is in a sling due to a broken clavicle?  Her brother fell on her.  Totally an accident.  She is now in a sling for 3 weeks.  Do you think this has slowed her down?  Not one bit.  She is actually dancing, sling and all,  in her school talent show with some of her friends to Let's Hear if For the Boy from the movie Footloose (2011 version, of course.) Let's be honest, she enjoys the attention.
2.  Yesterday I wore jeans and tennis shoes.  I know this is a pretty typical mom outfit, but I watch alot of What Not to Wear, and Stacey and Clinton abhor this look.  I knew I had given up on even trying to put an outfit together.  Now you know I am not a fancy mom and feel perfectly fine wearing my workout clothes all day.  But jeans and tennis shoes are a different story.  It lets me know that I am tired.  (And if this is a look you are not afraid of that is great.  I just have WNTW guilt.)
3. The past few weeks I have been given lots of opportunities to share parts of  my story with different people.  All for very different reasons.  I have said before that I don't think God brings you through hard times in vain.  He shows you his grace and mercy and then you can share how God has worked in your life with other people.  I thought I would be emotionally exhausted, but I'm really not.  I remember one of my friends mentioning before that God doesn't ever ask you to do something without giving you the strength to do it.  He equips us to do what he asks us to do.  It's not our strength, but His.
20 Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.  Hebrews 13
4.  Another reason I don't think I am emotionally spent is because I have stayed close to Him.  I have been in His word and in prayer.  I know that I am just a vessel that he is using.  It is nothing of my own power. Nothing I can say can change a person's heart.  That takes the pressure off of me and allows me to really put myself out there.  As long as I am willing to be used, the results are off of me. They are up to God. I can share with someone, pray for and with them, but what they decide to do is completely out of my hands.  This gives me such peace.  If I take on other people's issues as my own, and worry about what decisions they are making, then I am making myself much more powerful than I am, and not trusting God.  He is in control, not me.  I am just trying to be a willing servant.
5. Jason was giving the dog a bath on Sunday.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  We blow dry our dog after a bath because he is a Westie and you just have to.  What was odd was that I saw Jason grab my brush to brush him.  MY BRUSH?  So when I politely asked (yelled), What are you doing with MY brush?  Jason told me he had been using my brush to brush the dog for years. Years.  What???  Then he reassured me that he always cleaned the dogs hair out when he was finished.  Really Jason? Really?
6.  Packy loves all holidays.  Yesterday we bought his class Valentines.  When he got antsy during the big kids homework time I got them out and had him write his name on each one, all 32.  That went faster than I thought it would so I decided to give him his class list and have him write all the names of his friends (not required).  Check.  Finally he got treat bags and put a treat and a card in each bag and sealed them up.  Note to self: give Packy projects to do during homework time.
7.  When we look at a hard situation we often see hopelessness and pain.  God looks at it and sees how he is pouring out grace and mercy.  This thought has been helpful as I have seen people hurting recently. 
8.  Favorite Joyce Meyer quotes of the week (I don't ever watch her but she is one of the 13 people I follow on Twitter.)
* Attitudes don't just happen, they are the products of our choices.
*When we are truly confident and secure, the opinions of others cannot control us.
*Don't judge others.  God likes variety and we've all got our own little brand of "strangeness."
*If you don't get your mind straightened out, you'll never get your life straightened out.  You have to think about what you're thinking about. 
9.  I participated in a webinar last night (which is why this is pushed back 2 days).  It was from Positive Parenting Solutions and I participated through the Do Not Depart website.  The first thing the lady said was that her vision for us was to not even remember the last time we raised our voice at our kids.  I have told you before I am a third generation yeller and I am trying to change that.  The one thing I took away was that our kids have attention baskets that need to be filled every single day.  It does not have to be a big production.  Just 10-15 minutes of one on one.  Easier said than done, right?  Something to strive for.
10.  Jay's new line goes something like this: I've broken a bone.  Just not my own.  While he is not proud of breaking Emory's collar bone, he is enjoying a little of the attention he is receiving for being a part of the process.  Just happy it was an accident.

No comments: