Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ten on Tuesday


1.  Last Tuesday I was in Atlanta.  The treatment center I went to has a program called "revisit" and Jason and I go every October.  It's a chance to recharge our recovery batteries (and I mean our because it's not just me that is in recovery).  For two days I am in process groups, some with current patients and some with alumni.  Jason meets with the spouses group and we do some couples groups.  It's an intense couple of days.  The fun part is that my roommates from treatment all come and we get to catch up.  There are five of us and we have all stayed sober since graduating from treatment.  We stay in touch, but it's fun to get together in person and laugh.  We laugh so hard.  I feel very bonded to these girls.  We all saw each other at our absolute worst, so we rejoice in the progress we see in each other.
2.  It's a weird feeling to pull into the driveway of TRC (Talbott Recovery Campus).  It takes me back to the very first time Jason pulled into that place and what a mess I was.  I really thought they might evaluate me and send me home because I wasn't that bad off.  (A lot of people think this.)  I was wrong and ended up spending 106 days there.  They saved my life.  I am grateful that they offer the revisit program.  Meeting with current patients can be encouraging for them and for me.  It reminds me of where I was and how I do not want to go back. It gives them hope that people do stay sober.  Every year there is a person I knew during my stay that has relapsed and is now a current patient.  I am always grateful that they stayed alive long enough to go back to treatment, and very grateful that I am still sober.  (I know of 3 people who died of addiction during the last 2 weeks.)
3.  We surprised the kids with a trip to Stone Mountain.  Our niece, who lives in Atlanta, had her first birthday party so we had an excuse to be in Atlanta.  We left the party and drove to Stone Mountain.  The sad part was that the kids were so into their video games that they didn't notice where we were until we slowed down to pay to get in.  Stone Mountain has come a long way since I was a kid.  So much to do.  Sadly, we did not get to go on top of the mountain because it was too windy.  (Packy asked me to pray that night that the next time he went to Stone Mountain that it would not be windy.)
\
(Emory's reaction when she looked up and saw the Stone Mountain gate.)
4.  I got on the website damnyouautocorrect last night and laughed to the point of hysterically crying. Some of them are totally made up but they still made me laugh.  I tried reading them to Jason but that didn't work.  I just know when my mom first got her iPhone, I got a couple of random texts about robots. (Bad words, you have been warned.)
5.  I have really had a hard time getting up early the past couple of weeks.  Sad to say but I think I am staying up too late watching Bravo.  I hate waking up late.  I feel behind as soon as my feet hit the floor but my love for my bed is very strong.  The main problem is when I get up late I miss my quiet time.  No quiet time equals no peace for me.  Working on getting some peace back.
6.  Remember how Packy decided he was going to quit sucking his thumb and quit on his own?  Well, after a few months he decided he would start back.  When he started back it was worse than before. (This sounds so familiar.)  He used to just do it when he was sleeping and when he started again it was all the time.  I bought the THUM stuff that you paint on their nails but that didn't work.  Then a friend told me that even though the instructions say to paint just the nail that you have to paint the entire thumb AND all of the other fingers because they will substitute.  So we tried that and we have gone 24 hours without any fingers in the mouth.
7.  Tybee makes me laugh.  They love to have a party and they love a parade.  This was the first year that we attended the Pirate Festival.  Now Tybee takes pride in their quirkiness and this festival is perfect for the locals.  I would say that most of them look like pirates in their everyday life and this weekend they just take it one step further.  I have to say that it is fun to walk around saying "Arrrggghhh".  Thank you Mimi!  We had such a good time. (It's also fun to say "booty".  Packy really liked having permission to talk about booty as much as he wanted to.)
8.  I forgot how busy life gets when school starts.  I feel like it starts on Labor Day and fast forwards all the way to New Years.  I am trying to slow my brain down and appreciate this season.  Since we are in a new house it is fun thinking of new ways to decorate and celebrate holidays.  One of the first things I always do when looking at a house is ask, "Where would the Christmas tree go?".  So much to look forward to over the next few months.
9.  I got my camera back out.  I have a love/hate relationship with this camera.  I love it when it takes good pictures but then get so frustrated when I miss shots.  I don't really compare myself to other people in most areas of my life but when it comes to photography, I do.  I get photo envy all the time.  The solution to this is to take more pictures but most of the time I do the opposite.  It is good to take a break every now and then but I am ready to start carrying it all the time again. 
10.  This makes me happy that I got my camera back out.  My little pirate could not take any more and Jason found him on the floor.  Superman PJ's, night nights and his thumb.  Captures him perfectly.

No comments: