Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

1.  It's that time of year.  After trying to make a good impression on this years teachers at the beginning of the year, and really trying to make it look like I am one of those "on top of it" moms, the jig is up.  At the beginning of the year we were getting to school early and prepared.  Now, we are flying in on two wheels while studying our spelling words and cramming for the science vocabulary.  Packy may or may not have his show-and-tell on his designated day.  I am not getting up when my alarm clock goes off and I have no idea what I'm having for supper.  Book reports and projects sneak up on me.  I am totally out of whack.  I don't think the teachers were ever really fooled.
2.   When I get out of whack, it's time to regroup.  Time to start reading the school planners again so I know what's going on.  Time to start planning supper a couple of days at a time (the people who can plan a month at a time totally kill me).  Time to get up so I have quiet time that lasts longer than 10 minutes. Time to quit spending so much time on the computer looking at everyone's Halloween costumes.  Practically, I start with doing every bit of laundry in my house and changing the sheets.  It just feels like I'm ahead when those things are done.  In case you haven't noticed, I have to regroup about every 3 months.  I can't keep it together much longer than that.
3.  This week I have been in close proximity to alot of hard stuff.  A friend of a close friend of mine lost a child when he was struck by a car.  Another friend of Jason's, took their baby, who has retinoblastoma, to have his eye amputated and now must wait to see if his other eye will have to go too.  I have no idea what to say to people who are going through this type of heartache.  I don't have anything to compare it to in terms of grief and pain. I used to avoid the situation, scared I would say the wrong thing.  Then I realized there is never a right thing in some situations. The only thing I can do is show up.  Don't try and say the right thing or even come up with the perfect Bible verse.  Just show up.  Be there and help carry the burden. When there are no words, I usually give someone chocolate chip cookies and a hug.  And I pray for them.  Constantly.  (If you haven't read A Praying Life, let me recommend it.  Amazing, life changing book.)
Carry each other's burdens.
Galations 6:2a
4.  Carrying each other's burdens, really getting in the pit with someone, can be exhausting. Physically and emotionally.  When someone you care about is in intense pain, you take some of that pain on yourself.  You can't make it go away for them but you can help them carry it.  Just by showing up you help shoulder that pain.  You help them to keep living. And you can remind them that Jesus wants to carry the entire burden.  He wants to take it off of our backs and know that He's got it.  We don't have to carry it around, letting it crush us. He wants it, so let Him take it.  And be prepared for the weariness of being in the pit.
Cast your burden on the Lord and he will sustain you;
He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.
Psalm 55:22
5.  So while I was at the library picking out some books for Packy (part of my regrouping plan) I saw a book that I had wanted to read for a while.  I had already enjoyed one from the author and Oprah recommended it so I checked it out.   I read almost the entire first chapter before realizing that I had already read it.  And this book has 912 pages so I obviously spent some small part of my life reading it.  The even sadder part is that it's the second time I've started to read a book recently that I've already read. Sometimes I pass by a mirror, take a second look and wonder how I got this old? 
6.  I took the week of Halloween off, as far as exercising and eating goes.  I lived off of candy, Cheez-its, and Dr. Pepper.  I'm really not kidding.  I can eat an insane amount of candy and fully feel that as long as I have a Reese Cup, for the peanut butter, that I can sustain.  It's not a good plan, I know.  I just really love candy.  So now that Halloween is over I really have no excuse.  But there is still so much candy in my house (no one was up for the candy buy back at the dentist).  (Jason just gave me a scolding for buying the "on sale" candy at the grocery store he discovered in the pantry.  But it's so cheap and I am a candy crackhead. More candy Payton? Really?) Mmmm Butterfingers. (Actual thought I just had: I should just go ahead and eat all of the candy so then I won't have to eat it anymore.  Crack head.)
7.  There are 49 days until Christmas and I have anxiety.  I would say that I am not normally a controlling person but I go into overdrive at Christmas. Just the thought of crap (and there is no other word) entering my house that I know will be played with for a couple of days and then tossed aside, kills me. I put alot of time and thought into presents for my people.  
8.  Fall is the best right?  Macon is so pretty right now and we have already used our fireplace a few times.  We have been so busy, like stuff every night for almost 10 days busy.  I am looking forward to relaxing this weekend before we hit Thanksgiving.  And I'm not telling you my Thanksgiving plans but we are hitting it hard.
9.  Packy was asking me about world records today and how people got them.  I told him that you had to call the officials so they can come verify your record, whatever that might be.  He then asked me if I thought he could set a record for jumping from tree to tree.  Yes baby.  If that's what you want to do, then I believe you can do it.  He was beaming in the back seat. Big smile.  These are the things we talk about while we are riding around in Macon. 
Packy really cracks me up with his Ninja moves.
10.  By the way, I really like the Tide Pods.  You know, the little detergent things? I know I'm probably a year behind on this, but they really help keep my laundry room tidy.  
Emory and Lola Grace after completing the 1 mile Cross Country meet.  


1 comment:

Mary Frances S. said...

Hey Payton! It's Mary Frances from church. I found your blog through Miriam's and just wanted you to know that it's so encouraging to read! i feel like the most unorganized and crazy mom most days. Thanks for being real! Love it!