Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

Camera was on a tripod.  I didn't know Packy had decided to make a crazy face.

1.  A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1
     Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
Children learn by what they see right?  Guess what my kids do?  They scream at each other.  All the time.  Want to know why?  Because I am a screamer.  You might not know if you don't live in my house or visit on a regular basis.  I hate that.  I don't want to be a mom that screams.  My words are far from being sweet to the soul many times a day.  Guess who has some new laminated Bible verses to remind her what God says about her mouth?
2.  Have you started thinking about New Year's resolutions yet?  I have.  Last year I didn't even think about them.  I had already changed so many things in a year I didn't feel like official resolutions were needed.  I used to really be into making grand resolutions, many that were broken on New Year's day (usually around 12:01 am). This year will be more about reflecting over the past year and seeing where I can grow in the new year. No more pressure of specific and attainable goals, sorry Stephen Covey.  Progress, not perfection.
3.  Jason has guitar fever and he has it BAD.  With the help of YouTube he has taught himself to play over the past two years.  I am really proud of him.  Jason really doesn't get the "wants" very often.  I get them all the time.  I get house, car, shoe, everything fever.  He is the non-spender in our house so it's fun to watch him really obsess over something.  For once.  (The last thing he really wanted was his car but he's had that for 5 years.)
4.  Girls are pretty.  Boys are cool.  But cats are just cats.  Wisdom from Packy Churchwell, age 3.
5.  Simple living.  This is something I strive for.  These are some of the websites I like that talk about it are
Simple Mom and  Life Your Way. I can also draw inspiration from my sister and her friends in New York.  Betsy lives in 1400 square feet with 2 kids and one on the way.  This is double the square feet she had in her previous apartment.  Sometimes (when I get house fever) I think I need a playroom, 3 bathrooms, and an office.  Do I really need that?  No.  It would be nice but then I would have to clean it all and you know that's not going to happen.  Simple living. 
6.  My house is LOUD.  If the kids are home, it's loud.  I really enjoy my special morning time before anyone gets up.  It is literally the only time my house is quiet.
7. Emory has officially become a hillbilly.  Her tooth is hanging out of her mouth but she won't pull it and she won't let anyone else pull it.  Papa has even offered boat loads of cash to pull it and she stands firm.  It is really hard to look at her but she is a girl who does what she wants. 
8.  I am trying to remember that there are people who are grieving during this holiday season.  People who have lost parents, grandparents, children, and may be spending their first Christmas, or tenth, without a person who they loved.  There also people who are hurting in their marriages or just hurting from life who might suffer more during this "happy" time of year.  It makes me grateful to see where God has brought me and how he has kept the people around me safe and close to him.
9.  I had two people tell me this week that they prayed for me everyday.  My grandmother does too so that makes three.  Three people are talking to the Lord about me everyday.  Every day.  Wow.  My first reaction is always, "Good.  I need it.", but it is really humbling.  Thinking of others and taking the time to offer up prayers for them is such an amazing gift.  I am very blessed. 
10.  One area I need help with is intentional time with each of my children.  One on one time.  Do you do this?  Every week or once a month?  I am not doing a good job and would love to hear how you do it.

*Baby it's cold outside.  I don't do cold. If I could spend Christmas in the pool I would. Come on spring!

No comments: