Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Ten on Tuesday
2. I am in full Christmas mode. Last year I wanted the least amount of stress possible so I did minimal decorations (minus the squirrel in the Christmas tree). The year before that was a rough one. This year I want it to be extra special. I want the house lit up with as many lights as I can get. I want it to smell, look, and feel like Christmas. I want the kids to know that I am excited.
3. The downside of this is that I want the shopping part of Christmas done yesterday. My goal is decorate and have the shopping done before December 1st so that I can float through Christmas baking, reading Christmas books to the kids, looking at lights, and just enjoying life. The reality is that this has never happened before but it can. I have to believe that it can. Planning also helps me spend less. You know that I do not want any new toys in this house that are going to serve as clutter and not provide fun. The boys always have interactive toys...they must be able to build some part of it or they don't play with it. This is the time of year that I really bond with my UPS man. I always ask him if he brought me any presents.
4. I babysit myself all the time with the television. It's always on. From the time I get up to the time I go to bed and let it put me to sleep. The past several days I have turned it off. I have gotten dressed without it. I have made dinner without it. Homework with the children has gone much better since they aren't competing with Oprah. I think I have always been afraid of what was going on in my head so I let the TV fill it with mindlessness. So, I have concluded that silence is a good thing. I can be alone with my thoughts. If they are crazy sometimes so what? Just because I have a thought does not mean that I am going to act on it. Meditation has never been a strong point of mine but without the drone of background noise, it's getting easier. I can talk and listen to God. Who knew?
5. I just got the text from my sister. It's Tuesday. Whatcha got?? She will let me slide with one week but she's on me by the second one.
6. Back to Christmas. I really like family traditions. Kids don't remember all of the toys but they remember the special activities. So what are your favorite traditions? Either as a child or the ones you are trying to incorporate in to your family now. Emory asked me the other day if we were going to "do the envelopes" again. The envelopes were an advent I made by stamping 1-25 on an envelope and each day it would have an activity. From a candy cane hunt (think Easter egg) to drinking hot chocolate and reading a Christmas book to the walk through Bethlehem in Warner Robins-simple some days-big some days. The last time we did this was a few years ago but she remembered. So let me know what you do. I am always looking for ideas!
7. Just for fun:
*When Packy goes outside on a bright day he sneezes. Then he says, "That sun sneezed me!"
*Jay brought home a permission slip to be in school play. He wanted me to sign it and say that he would NOT be in the play. I told him I only had to sign it if he was going to be in it. He wanted to be extra sure that no one misunderstood and that somehow he would be in the play.
*Jason told Jay that we were going to go caroling as a family this year. He went on to tell him that he was going to play the guitar and that we would go to all of Jay's friends houses and sing for them. This is the kind of stuff we say to torture this poor child. His face while Jason was going on and on was priceless.
8. Emory went to my mom's house on Sunday and made her first doll skirt. Actually my mom made it but Em hemmed it. I was impressed and a little jealous. Jason has a some shorts that have not had a button for about two years. I can sew a button but I have a mental block with those shorts. The funny thing is that I want a sewing machine for Christmas. Santa? Are you reading?
9. Sometimes I get overwhelmed at my life. How could the Lord restore my life from the pit to what it is now? It's so good. It's all because of Him. His grace abounds. Thank you Lord!
10. I have worked on a non Tuesday post for a few weeks now and it never reads right to me. This Thursday I am going to post it anyway. I felt like if I wrote that, I would be more likely to do it. That's not a promise but more of a "I'm going to try really hard'.