Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

Today is Betsy's birthday.  So...
1.  I love my sister.  I am thankful that I have a sister and that we have a relationship.  There are plenty of people who don't have one or the other.  She is my best friend.  Her husband is always happy when we get to spend time together and, as he says, "catch up".  He doesn't understand that we don't have to catch up.  We know what's going on in each other's lives pretty much daily.
2.  Betsy is one of the few (maybe the only) person I can take constructive criticism from.  She can tell me my clothes are dated, my hair is too long, or even (gasp) that one my children needs to work on a character trait(s).  She can say things to me that I would jump on my mom for saying.  I think that Betsy is just one of those genuinely sweet people and I don't ever question her motives.  She is kind and has a servant's heart. 
3.  After living with each other for the month and observing each other's children for a month, you get some really good insight.  We have had some really good "give it to me straight" (about my children) meetings.  I even asked for her observations. Sometimes you start to become numb to a problem (or do I just give up without realizing it?) that someone else can easily point out.  Betsy is good at pinpointing the behavior and the heart issue that goes along with it.  (I am giving KJ and the Turansky/Miller team some credit for this wisdom.[Even working on a 30 day action plan KJ!])  I am usually fired up to start some new parenting plans when school is about to start.  Starting a new school year is like a fresh start.  This year I am going to be _____________.  (Insert organized, on time or even early, reading more out loud, not getting behind, and on on and on.)  But I really mean it this year.  Right?
4.  She has had me peeing in my pants (again) reading Tina Fey's Bossypants out loud.  Things are just funnier when we are together.  We both love Tina Fey but when someone is laughing so hard that they can barely get the words out, you have to laugh.
5.  In order to pull me out of my funk last week, Betsy suggested that we work on our So You Think You Can Dance routine for National Dance Day.  How could I do anything but smile and laugh as we tried to learn an advanced hip hop routine in the kitchen?  We laughed even harder as we discussed doing it on the Tybee pier and having Emory tape it.  Harder still as we thought about teaching it to Jason and making him do it with us on the pier.  Of course those things did not happen, but it sure was fun laughing about it. (We did learn the routine and we might have a tape of it.  Wouldn't you like to see that?)
6.  Did you know that Betsy was the very first mom featured on Mama Monday on the Flourishing Mother?  Read her story here.
7.  Want the dirt on Betsy?  There really is very little (I mean, she's not perfect, but I am talking about her married life.  Don't email me your "dirt" on Betsy.  On second thought, maybe you should. ) but she does have a cereal problem.  The box calls to her from the kitchen most nights between 9 and 10 and will not be quiet until she has devoured a giant bowl.   
8.  I have taken over 1,100 pictures since July 4th. 
9.  Is anyone else questioning Nick Lachey's decision to start off his second marriage the same way he started his first?  A reality show about your wedding?  Really Nick Lachey? Really?
10.  Me and my people are leaving tomorrow.  We are gathering all of our junk and putting it in piles right now.  I know I am going to be sad when I drive away, but it is time.  It is time.

Dedicated to my sweet sister Betsy.
Tybee YMCA roller skating night.

2 comments:

nose in some book said...

you have a dear, dear sister. i am thankful i have one, too. aren't we the lucky ones!

analisa said...

i came across your blog on a next blog scroll along. great read. great mommy moments. :)
please follow me back at www.biguniversesmallworld.blogspot.com